Years back the broadcasting of television was done with radio waves. A TV set needed an antenna to view the broadcast. With advancements in technology with time, this system has also upgraded. IPTV is one of these advancements, where, television broadcasting is done via Internet Protocol (IP). Thus, it’s called IPTV- Internet Protocol Television. It uses the combined system of internet and private networks in their broadcasting system. Along with the TV contents, it gives access to the video on demand, live streaming, and many more internet related services.
What are the main features of IPTV subscription?
- It does not use radio waves or fiber optic cable to transmit the content, instead of the standard internet connection of the user.
- Usually used signals are transcoded into signals that are compatible with IP. Thus, its operating system is a little complicated architecture.
- If the connection is used over the computer, it simply works. However, when connected to the TV, not all sets are compatible with it and might need a translator like a set-up box.
- The programs are viewed as per the demand of the user and not in a scheduled way.
- To understand, it’s just like streaming Netflix or YouTube, but this is broadcasted on TV screens.
The 3 basic IPTV formats are:-
- Video on Demand: In short called VoD. As the name suggests, the subscriber gets the video as per his demand. This could include videos, TV shows, etc.
- IPTV services
- IPTV Live: Users can watch the broadcasting live. Mostly the sports events are one example to elaborate this feature.
In most countries, it’s a legal way, as they have no law to prohibit streaming of content on other devices. However, in some other countries, it may be prohibited. The user should be aware, of what kind of subscriber they are taking subscription if the provider is legal/illegal. Since many providers do not have the right to broadcast the content. The provider who pays for the rights to broadcast the content is legal. Apart from this, the service can be shared on other devices like mobiles, computers, or other TV screens.